This is for spiritual seekers who want to evolve spiritually by using every support (little or big) that life offers. I have consolidated below list of tips which can easily be integrated in your daily lifestyle along with sadhana that you do regularly. I’ve hyperlinked most of the terms, it is very important that you click on the link to understand the whole topic. Tips are arranged in random order, point at top doesn’t mean it is very important and vice versa. Make sure you read all the 35 points especially the last one.
1. Shower Twice a Day
Sadhguru: If you are showering with cold water, you will see a shower is not just about cleansing the skin. Even if you went in angry, when you shower and come out, all the nonsense feels washed off. There is a certain cleansing of the Akashic dimension of who you are. Most yogis take shower at least twice a day.
- For extra benefits use herbal powder instead of soap. Buy Online Herbal Powder by Isha Shoppe
- You should always start your yoga practices after taking a cold shower in Morning
2. Fire Bathing
Sadhguru: If you wish to do some form of cleansing at home, light a lamp with vegetable oil or ghee and be around this lamp. First, sit facing the lamp, then turn around and sit so that the fire element within you gets rekindled.
- Kriya To Cleanse With Fire
- Watch below video on how to cleanse five body elements? ⇓
3. Creating Shrine at Home
Sadhguru: If you are living in a family situation with a few other people, it is best to create a space for sadhana that is kept in a certain way and not used for any other purpose. If you have a yantra or a sannidhi, that is great. Otherwise, at least keep a picture, light an oil lamp, and put a little flower there every day. If you can create a dedicated, cared-for space, it can provide a lot of support – a little shrine in your own place.
4. Remain in Touch With Earth & Nature
Sadhguru: In India, for example in Tamil Nadu, we traditionally called soil as “thai mannu” – Mother Earth
- Please watch wonderful video below which has simple ways to connect to earth ⇓
- Why We Must Eat Food with Our Hands ?
- How to cleanse your Auric Field? ⇓
5. Consuming Neem, Honey & Detoxifying Herbs
Sadhguru: In Isha Yoga Center, you will be given Neem & Turmeric balls. If you take this, this is a simple way of cleansing your system.It is a very natural herb which takes away certain type of harmful bacteria from your system, above all it keeps your colon clean. How clean your colon is also decides how well your mind functions. How to Consume Turmeric and Neem with Honey?
- Soak 8-10 peppercorns together with 2-3 vilva or neem leaves in honey, and a handful of groundnuts in water, overnight. After the Sadhana and chanting, chew the leaves, consume the peppercorns after mixing them with lemon juice, and eat the groundnuts as well.
- Trifla – Magical Herbal Formula
- Health Benefits of Ginger Root- Wonder Spice
6. Chanting Mantras
Sadhguru on Brahmananda Swaroopa: This chant is significant not just for its meaning, but because it is a consecrated chant and it is the simplest way for you to connect with what you refer to as Isha. You can use this as my ID. When we invoke a chant like this, this is not just a chant, a certain amount of work has been done on it. Chant this Brahmananda Swaroopa at presence tie everyday.
Sadhguru: A mantra is not something that you utter. It is something that you strive to become because unless you become the key, existence will not open up for you. Becoming the mantra means you are becoming the key. Only if you are the key can you open the lock. Otherwise someone else has to open it for you and you have to listen to him. Becoming a Mantra : How a Mantra Can Bring Transformation
- Download Isha Chants App
- Mantra Science ⇓
7. Wearing Rudraksha Beads Maala
Sadhguru: It is a kind of shield against negative energies. It is possible for some people to use negative energies to cause harm to someone else. For someone who is constantly on the move and who eats and sleeps in various places, rudraksha is a very good support because it creates a cocoon of your own energy. Five-faced beads or panchmukhi is safe and good for everyone – man, woman and child.
8. What to Wear
Sadhguru: Traditionally, a person who wears orange cuts himself off from family and social situations. The one who chooses white walks the spiritual path, but is still involved in the other aspects of life. Those who are on a path where they don’t want to gather anything will wear white.
- Benefits of Wearing Organic Cotton or Silk Clothing
- What kind of clothes should you wear for Yoga?
- Sadhguru explaining about significance of colors for seekers ⇓
9. Full Body Oil Massage/Bath
Balances the Vata, Pitta and Kapha known as Tridosha
Best Anti-ageing, younger skins, natural moistening, healthy blood circulation, healthy eyes, cool head, reduces headache, feel lighter, frees from stiffness and body pain, healthy hair, scalp, etc
At a spiritual level, it cleanses the Aura, balances the chakra and keep the body at alert and aware state and the list goes on.
10. Indian Classical & Devotional Music
Sadhguru: Indian classical music has never been just for entertainment. It is a way of evolving an individual human being into a universal entity. In yoga we say Nada Brahma, which means Sound is Divine. This is because the basis of existence is in vibration, which is sound. If you want to know music, don’t look at music. You must know silence.
- Best Indian Classical & Devotional Music YouTube Channel
- Can classical music heal? ⇓
11. Best Time & Direction to Meditate
Sadhguru: Because yoga evolved in tropical climates in India, we always said that all yogic practices must happen before 8:30 in the morning or after 4:00 or 4:30 in the evening. Click below links to read more.
- Best Time To Meditate & Do Yoga
- Brahma Muhurta – Time to Create Yourself
- East is the best direction to face while meditating, North is second best direction
12. Moon Cycles Affect Energy System
Sadhguru: If you have some mastery over your sun and moon – the Pingala and Ida – the beauty of Pournami (Full Moon) remains within you even in hot sunlight. In terms of qualities, Pournami is love, and Amavasya (New Moon) is aggression. Click below article to know more about it.
- How Moon And Mysticism Are Connected?
- Sadhguru on full and new moon ⇓
13. Eating Food The Yogic Way
Highly Positive Pranic (Energetic) Foods – Raw fruits, Salads, Vegetables (Raw and Boiled), Nuts, Black Pepper, Honey, Ash Gourd, Sprouts, Kanji, Soaked Groundnuts, Jaggery, Ghee etc
Highly Negative Pranic Foods – Garlic, Non-Vegetarian Food, Onion, Alcohol, Tea, Coffee, Brinjal, Green Chilies, Asafetida etc
Zero Pranic Food – Potato, Tomato (these are just added for taste)
- What to Eat: Making the Right Food Choices
- Foods Which You Should Avoid
- 5 Tips For Healthy Living
- Before consuming food, start with invocation and bow down to food. Have at least 40% of your diet in terms of fresh fruits, avoid packed foods
- Why Become a Vegetarian?
- Avoid 5 whites – white sugar, white salt, milk, white rice, maida (white flour)
- Non-Veg food and alcohol blocks the pranic energy flow in your body, if you can’t avoid it then eat it under moderation
- Why you should drink water stored in copper vessel?
14. Intensify Sadhana on Conducive Days
- Mahashivratri Sadhana and its Significance- The unique planetary positions on Mahashivratri are such that there is a natural upsurge of energy within the human system.
- Guru Purnima – It is time to break the walls between the internal and the external
- During time of Lunar/Solar Eclipse, click to know why you should not eat during eclipse?
- Significance of Uttarayana (from winter solstice to summer solstice)
- Navratri Sadhana
- Significance of Dakshinayana These six months are the sadhana pada and this time is important because now you can do the right things. In terms of sadhana, Dakshinayana is for purification. Uttarayana is for enlightenment. From this year, Sadhguru is offering to volunteer in Ashram during whole sadhana pada.
15. Fasting on Ekadashi
Sadhguru: The possibility of opening the door within is more on this day. Once in every 11 to 14 days, you may not feel like eating. On that day, you should not eat. The possibility of opening the door within you is more on this day. it is also helpful in fully cleansing your body and energy system.
- Significance of Ekadashi
- Other good days for fasting are Full Moon (Pournami/Purnima) and New Moon (Amavasya)
- How fasting burns your karma, this man explains beautifully ⇓
16. Preparing Your Body & Energy System First by Hatha Yoga
Sadhguru: If we want to do Kriya Yoga, we always prepare people with Hatha yoga because without the body being prepared, it will not be able to take higher dimensions of energy. It will break. It is just like if your pipe is not ready and you pump in too much force, something is bound to burst. Hatha yoga, so to speak, could be understood as preparation of the pipe.
You can keep this body well only by using it. One of the simplest things about health is just to use the body. If you use the body sufficiently, it has everything to create health for itself. You just have to use your body, your mind and your energies. If these three things are well-exercised and balanced, you will be healthy.
Physical and mentally, push yourself to limit and see what is there. If you stop for every little discomfort, you will never know what it is, just push yourself to limit. Physically, mentally, emotionally in every way push yourself to the last point. Either you must go mad or you must get enlightened, that’s all there is; and we will not allow you to go mad, don’t worry.
- Stabilize your energy system by doing Hatha Yoga, Kriya Yoga, Sukha Kriya, AUM chanting for longer durations
- You can also prepare yourself by practicing Surya Kriya & Yogasanas ⇓
17. Mindfulness or Mindlessness
Sadhguru on Mindfulness – Mindfulness will make you more alert to function better in world, it is just a survival tool, it will not help to evolve yourself. You just do one thing, everyday for 5 minutes do something with total abandonment, no matter how small that activity is and then become mindless (devoid of any thoughts) rather than becoming mindful. My mind always remains empty. It is only when I want to use my mind, I think. With mindfulness you may do right things, but you will suffer in the end. Just try to live every aspect of your life especially your personal life with mindfulness, after sometime you will not know why the hell are you doing it because it is not worthwhile. Now do something with abandonment no matter how small that activity is, it will still be worthwhile if you dissolve into it.
What you like you must do it with one hundred percent involvement, what you don’t like you must do it with two hundred percent involvement, that is breaking limitations.
18. How To Handle Compulsions Like Sexuality
Sadhguru : It is futile to fight our passions and desires. But what we can do is channelize them in the right direction. Anger is tremendous energy. Lust is also tremendous energy. Direct it in the right direction. Every energy that you have, every passion you have, every emotion you have, every thought you have, if they are focussed in one direction, the results are very quick.
19. Sit Straight Without Any Back-Support Often to Strengthen Your Spine
Sadhguru: It is very important that the spine is exercised. Otherwise it will become rigid and useless. If you do not exercise it, your ability to experience life decreases dramatically.
- The days you will sit with erect spine for longer hours you will suddenly realize that your perception towards life has suddenly increased manifold. Whenever you sit down cross legged, always sit in ardha-siddhasana so that when time of sadhana comes, your body and legs doesn’t become an obstacle
- Importance of Good Posture
20. Consecrated Spaces or Tools
Sadhguru: The very fundamental building blocks in the system can be changed very rapidly if one lives in a consecrated space. If you have the necessary technology, you can make the simple space around you into a divine exuberance; you can just take a piece of rock and make it into a god or a goddess. This is the phenomenon of consecration.
- Volunteer in Ashram often, it is a wonderful opportunity to remain in consecrated spaces like Dhyanalinga, Linga Bhairavi
- Use Vibhuti on upper 4 chakras. You can apply sacred ash at certain points to receive the divine around you, not the devil. Vibhuti : How and Where to Apply It?
- Consecrate your home with Linga Bhairavi Yantra. What are Yantras & How Can They Benefit Me?
- Why Isha followers wear copper snake ring ? ⇓
21. Volunteering/ No Self-Importance/ Don’t Think Too Much of Yourself
Sadhguru: You are most attached to your own body, and above all, to your own thought and emotion. Most human beings have not come to the realisation that what is happening in their mind is not a reality. The weight on your back is just this – your own pride, your own ego, and your sense of self-significance. If you are worried about what someone is going to think about you, you will not do anything in life. Stop Being Too Much Full of Yourself: The Mite of Pride
Volunteering is a way of learning to make our lives into a process of just giving and being willing. Not just willing to do this or that, simply willing. No spiritual process will happen to any human being unless he becomes willingness. Thus, volunteering is a tremendous tool in creating that willingness. When you volunteer, suddenly you realize a lot of mental baggage has settled down, because simple things in life like what to eat, what to do or what to wear can keep your mind occupied whole day. Volunteering : Giving Yourself.
- Begging : A Tool of Growth. A beggar may be doing so out of helplessness, but a sanyasi is doing it consciously for his own growth, so that he does not get too full of himself.
22 . How to Fully Rest Your Body in 4-5 Hours
- The main excuse people find for not sticking to any practice is that they don’t have enough time but what if the practice you are doing can reduce the amount of sleep by 2-3 hours, yes it is possible, visit link below to know how to reduce sleep quota
- 10 Healthy Tips to Reduce Your Sleep Quota
- 5 Simple Ways to Reduce Your Sleep
Sadhguru’s 10 Tips To Sleep Well & Wake Up Well ⇓
23. Itinerary to Sacred Spaces/Temples in India
Spiritual places revitalize and energize us and give us an experience of our inner nature. Many spiritual masters have illuminated these spaces with their grace. In an endeavor to share these mystical dimensions. Isha offers the rare privilege of exploring the beauty and sacredness of the most revered destinations of this land including, magnificent Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar, the awe-inspiring Himalayas, the majestic ancient temples of southern India, and the legendary holy city of Varanasi. Isha Sacred Walks are journeys to places of divine connection, where the veil between the physical and spiritual is thin.
24. When You Feel Dull or Lazy For No Reason At All
- Reading spiritual books, watching video discourses or listening to sounds of Isha music are always good source of inspiration. Sadhguru’s old videos are really great when he used to speak only on spirituality.
- Practising Hatha Yoga or sometimes even running, walking, physical exercise works in elevating your mood.
- Install Sadhguru’s App so you can get daily inspirational quotes and new blogs.
- Spend some time with nature/earth outside or take a shower or sing or dance.
- Play any game/sport or dance or sing, whatever you do, do that with full involvement and total abandonment.
- Give yourself a crash course of Inner Engineering.
- We should not skip practices, this is best time to train your compulsive mind. Go against your compulsive habits to become a conscious human being. How to keep your Sadhana going through the lows? Please watch this important video below. Only one thing matters to a real Yogi – Intensity, because that works for his Sadhana. Only when you face challenges in life, you become intense and only when you are on intense level of energies then your sadhana will bear more fruits, so people usually have a tendency of missing practices when they face challenges but it should be the other way around. When life situations become uncomfortable, your sadhana should also become more intense. All trauma or discomfort in life creates more intense life, yogi is not concerned about good or bad experiences he just wants intensity. So keep doing your practices without missing a single day. ⇓
Sadhguru: That which is the basis of life has to come to you if you are just an intense piece of life, there is no way it can avoid you. When you are on the spiritual path, you are in a hurry to get to your ultimate destination. You do not want it to take a hundred or even a thousand lifetimes – you want to hurry it up. Entering the spiritual process means being willing to experience life in great measure. Once you come and sit with me, this is my blessing too – let everything that is life happen to you. “What if death happens?” That is wonderful too.
25. Seekers Should Take-In Limited Information & Remain in Silence Often
Sadhguru : Shutting your mouth is only half the job. To become silent is possible only when you do not think much of yourself. If you think something about yourself, if you think, “I am smart,” how can you shut up? You tell me. If you think, “I’m smart,” how can you shut up?
- Information like reading too many new age spiritual books, web-surfing, social media, YouTube etc. makes mind restless of most of people. Internet keeps you entertained for hours but it is just information all over the place, most of that information is of no significance to earnest seekers. So be conscious what you take inside. Never try to make spirituality into an academic subject
- Should You Read Scriptures?
Sadhguru : With all due respect to the scriptures, it is accumulated knowledge…You are a book written by the creator himself. It is best to read this if you want to know about this life
26 . Being A True Seeker & Devotee
Sadhguru : When you are overwhelmed by something or someone, you naturally become devout. But if you try to practice devotion, it creates problems because the line between devotion and deception is very thin – it will lead you into so many kinds of hallucinations. So you cannot practice devotion, but you can do certain things so that you arrive at devotion.If you just recognize one thing, you will naturally become a devotee: the cosmos is very large. You do not know where it begins or where it ends. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies. In this vast cosmos, this solar system is a tiny speck. If the solar system disappears tomorrow, it will not even be noticed in the cosmos. In this tiny speck of a solar system, planet earth is a micro speck. In this micro speck of a planet, the city you live in is a super-micro speck. In that, you are a big man! This is a serious problem of perspective. It is only because of this that there is no devotion in you.
- If you stay really alive to everything, you will know the bounty of the planet, you will know the beauty of the sky, you will know what is beyond – everything will be within your perception.
27. Looking at Life with Sense of Wonder & Bow Down
Sadhguru: No matter what comes into your life, even if it is the highest level of Grace, if you take it for granted, it will not just weaken but vanish after some time, in your experience. This is happening to people all the time, right from their birth. Look at yourself or anyone else around you – are they experiencing the bounty of what life is offering all the time? How many people are experiencing all that is beautiful around them? The air that they breathe, the water that they drink, the food that they eat – how many of them are truly enjoying it? They think there is some greater purpose other than life. They have a mission of their own.
If we see that everything is beyond our understanding, whether a leaf, an ant or an atom, it would be natural to bow down. Every time a cloud moves, the breeze moves, another human being comes, a dog comes, a cow – anything, a tree moves, your breath moves in and out – bow down. Bow down to every dimension of life, because all of it is superior to your intelligence.
One simple process you can do to find more access to the akashic intelligence is, after sunrise, before the sun crosses a 30° angle, look up at the sky and bow down to akash for holding you and this planet in place. After the sun crosses 30°, sometime during the day, look up and bow down again. Within 40 minutes after sunset, look up at the sky and once again bow down to the etheric space around us that is holding everything in place. If you get akash to co-operate with your life energies, life will happen in magical ways. An intelligence that you have never thought possible will become yours.
If you just learn to walk with a sense of wonder towards existence, you will not escape a spiritual process. You don’t need any teaching. It will happen to you anyway. This is why in the eastern cultures, always, you bow down to whatever you see, whether it is a rock, an animal or a human being. Being in reverence towards the very earth that you walk upon, towards the air that you breathe, the water that you drink, the food that you eat, the people that you come in touch with and everything else that you use, including your body and mind, is a way of ensuring success in every endeavor that we partake in.
28. No Expectations or Hope of Any Kind
Sadhguru: Just do your practices with love and devotion, otherwise it will become one more burden. Do your Kriyas like it is your last day.
If a person has no hope, he is truly blessed because that person has no fear of failure. So, just do your sadhana joyfully, not with the hope of making it or the fear of not making it. Make the sadhana an offering and do it intensely but without hope. How can a person work intensely, but without any hope? Only when you really love. There should be trust also, and there can be no trust unless there is love. When I say “trust,” I am not talking about loyalty.
29. When to Shave Your Head
Sadhguru : People doing certain type of sadhana (spiritual practice) want that to happen. They don’t just shave their head whenever they feel like it.
30. Awareness of Mortality All The Time
Sadhguru: We do many things in life. but as far as our physical self, the body is concerned, it goes straight to grave. Or in other words time is ticking away all the time. Whether you live great or lousy, whatever you do – time is ticking away. As I’m speaking, we are one minute closer to death. Only because human beings are not conscious of of their mortal nature, they can invest their time in so many things that don’t really mean a thing to them, If they were conscious that they are mortal and time is ticking away, they would only what really matters. If all of us did only what truly matters to every one of us, this world would be a fantastic place.
31. Why You Should Donate & Give Charity
32. Some Useful Links
- Hindi video pondering upon whether you should marry or not
- Some good videos to open your mind on accumulating money and job
- Which oil is recommended for cooking?
- Some common traditional home remedies
- Learn some Ayurveda
- Ideal temperature of drinking water
- Do you really need to drink milk?
- Some healthy recipes
- What is Enlightenment?
- Chasing Enlightenment
- 3 Fundamentals of Good Health
33. Just be on Path with Unwavering Attention
Sadhguru: Unwavering attention to anything will lead to ultimate liberation. Not god, not heaven – anything! You will attain. At least 95% of the human energy is wasted because most human beings cannot hold anything in their focus for a substantial amount of time.
34 . Inner Engineering Crash Course (for those who have done the course)
Every time before you do Shambhavi, give yourself a crash course of Inner Engineering for two or three minutes and implement it each day. Even today, it will work.
So first thing in the morning you smile. Remind yourself or give yourself a crash course in Inner Engineering. Now, ‘All the rules in my life, in Mumbai, in the existence are mine, my rules. My ability to respond is limitless. This moment the way it is, is the way it is, it cannot be any other way not this day, not this life only this moment and I am not the body, I am not the mind and I am a mother to the world,’ just start with the crash course. It takes twenty seconds. Okay? If you can’t smile at somebody who is next to you, just smile.
35. Always Remember This
- Don’t let your focus distract to petty issues like judging or advising other people, then you will keep progressing. But as soon as you start wondering ‘how less spiritual other people are’, be conscious of the behaviour and try to look what happens within you.
Don’t become a Guru yet: Another thing that you will notice from people is that, you can get a lot of spiritual advice from people, way more than what you can get from Sadhguru himself. They will sound as if they know even more than Sadhguru. They think they can now interpret and explain what Sadhguru says. They think they can explain to people why Sadhguru says certain things and clarify their doubts. They now think that they know more about enlightenment. After taking just a few steps into a dense and wide forest, if you think you know the entire forest, that is really funny. You will see one or two critics of Sadhguru on the Internet, that is perfectly fine. In a living democracy everybody has the fundamental right to disagree with whoever they want to. There is no need to get emotionally charged up when you see or hear someone criticising your guru. As Sadhguru says, you should always respond consciously rather than giving compulsive reaction.
Don’t believe or disbelieve anything, always remain Skeptic
Do the practices. Do you understand the purpose of all the YouTube videos of Sadhguru? Do you understand what he means when he says ‘I don’t have any teaching, I only have methods’ ? Sadhguru spends all his time talking and lecturing because he wants you to do the programs in Isha more than anything else. He wants you to focus on your spiritual practice. He doesn’t want you to argue with people, label them with names, start a missionary, preach others and worship him. He wants you to do Isha practices, period!
When you are on spiritual path, everything happens on fast forward mode :
Sadhguru: One dimension of the spiritual process is to put your life on fast-forward. You want to accelerate the process of evolution. Once you put it on fast-forward, your joy, your pain, your suffering – everything becomes more intense. With certain spiritual practices, you are setting your energies in a certain direction. When you are doing your kriya, you are setting your energies on the path of the ultimate. Once you do that, it is very important that your body, mind and emotions cooperate and align themselves to it. If your energies are going in one direction while your body, mind, and emotions are going in other directions, there will be struggle. If your pain, joy, and whatever else you experience become intense, it is not because there is no Grace. The spiritual process is on. That is the Grace. Grace does not mean treating you like a sweetie pie all the time. Grace means constantly hurrying you up, not letting you settle anywhere.
We’ll keep updating this list, just follow this blog and stay tuned. Suggestions and feedback is most welcome in comments or contact me form.